Last night, we had our monthly non-fiction book club meeting, something we started almost a year ago with a few of our friends. This month, our selection was Zeitoun – a truly amazing story about one man’s experience after Hurricane Katrina.
The story is both unbelievable and incredibly engaging, and I’d highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t read it yet! Our whole book club loved it🙂 So last night, it was our turn to host – so I decided to make Samosa Wraps – a recipe I found on Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. After a few modifications to the dish, the wraps turned out great and were a big hit with our book club friends. My modified recipe is below – and you can find the original here. Thanks Fat Free Vegan Kitchen for a great recipe!
- 1 pound (450 g) red or gold potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 14 ounces (390 g) extra-firm tofu, frozen for 24 hours and thawed (I actually just used regular firm tofu and crumbled it – worked out great)
- 1 medium onion, minced (I used red onion)
- 1 cup (236 ml) frozen green peas
- 1 medium tomato, diced (I used 2 tomatoes because I love the flavor!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (I used 1 pepper for more spice)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water (I only used 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (I probably ended up using closer to 3-4 tsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (I used about 3/4-1 tsp)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) (I used 1/4 tsp, maybe a bit more)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I definitely added a few more splashes of lemon juice at the end to add additional flavor to the dish)
- 6 whole-grain tortillas (may use gluten-free) (We used Naan and Tortillas from Trader Joe’s)
- Roasted cashews, chopped – I added this to give the dish a bit more texture
- Mango ginger chutney (or any sweet/spicy chutney) – Trader Joe’s has a great mango ginger chutney which I would highly recommend using as a side to this dish!
Here are the ingredients I used (well most of them anyway🙂 )
- Cook the potatoes, unpeeled, in boiling water until they’re tender (pierce easily with a fork). Remove from water and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (6mm).
- Squeeze tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Heat a deep non-stick skillet and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion begins to brown. Add peas, tomato, ginger, jalapeno pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring, until peas thaw.
- Add potatoes and tofu to skillet along with 1/2 cup water, salt, curry powder, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and lemon juice. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary. Remove cover and cook until most liquid has evaporated. Check to see if more salt or lemon is needed. (I needed to simmer it for about 20 min for the potatoes to cook all the way through)
- Warm tortillas or naan according package directions. Place 1/6 of filling in center of wrap, top with cashews. Fold bottom edge up, and fold sides over filling. Serve with mango chutney (or any other chutney you like!)
Nutritional Information: 1/6 of the filling + 1, 8 inch whole wheat tortilla = ~270 calories, 5g fiber, and ~12g protein
Here are the veggies prepped and ready to go…
The filling is almost ready!
The naans are ready to be rolled…
And dinner is served!