Last night, I found this recipe from EatingWell.com and decided to try it out. My husband has always been skeptical of tofu “scrambles” – because there’s no way tofu will ever taste like eggs and I think the crumbles weirds him out a little 🙂 So I decided to make this recipe but modify it to make it more flavorful and less “scramble” esque. I also added a ton more veggies than the recipe called for – my modifications are in purple below. We ate it with warm corn tortillas and my husband even used it as a topping for tacos and tostadas! It turned out great – hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients – Tofu Scramble
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided (I used olive oil and it worked well)
- 1 14-ounce package firm water-packed tofu, rinsed and crumbled (I used extra firm tofu to keep more of the “tofu” consistency” and less of the “crumble” effect – I also cubed most of the tofu and only crumbled a bit)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (I think I ended up using about 3 tsp chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used about 2-2.5 tsp cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided (I ended up using about 3/4 tsp total)
- 1/4 package taco seasoning (I added this to amp up the flavor. I’d also suggest adding a pinch of cayenne if you like things with a little more spice!)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (I actually used 4-5 small zucchini)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (I added this)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 red onion diced (I added this)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used shredded cheddar because that’s what we had on hand)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Ingredients – Stewed Black Beans & Tortillas
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Pace Picante salsa (my favorite!)
- 1 package corn tortillas, warmed
Directions – Tofu Scramble
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, half the chili powder, half the cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the tofu begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Note – only use half the chili powder/cumin if you are using my recommendations for the amount of spices and if you’re increasing the amount of veggies. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add all the veggies and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, taco seasoning, and remaining chili powder/cumin. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Add additional 1/4 tsp salt if needed (taste the mixture and decide). Return the tofu to the pan and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa, 1-2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Directions – Stewed Black Beans
- Add the black beans with a pinch of water to a small sauce pan over medium heat. Let the beans cook for 5-10 min until warmed through and slightly soft. Add the salsa about 5 min into cooking, stir and let simmer until warmed through.
Nutritional Information – Tofu Scramble Only
3/4 cup = 1 serving
Calories: ~200 (12g fat)
Fiber: At least 3g, but more if you add more veggies
Note: For 1/2 cup of the black beans I’d add another 100 calories, and 1 corn tortilla would be about 70-80 calories.