For dinner tonight, I was looking for something quick and easy to make. I had 2.5 hours of intense dance practice earlier today, so I was hungry and tired – and in no mood to spend more than 30 min in the kitchen! I was inspired by a recipe for cumin & bean sprout quesadillas – from VegetarianTimes.com. I changed the recipe a little – and it turned out great! The cumin was super flavorful and the meal was really healthy overall. And the best part – it took only 20 min to make (30 min including bake time) 🙂 Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 4 Mission 8″ Soft Taco Carb Balance Tortillas (link here)
- 1/2 cup grated low fat Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 1 cup cooked small lentils (I used Trader Joe’s Steamed Packaged Lentils – link for picture here)
- 1 cup pico de gallo – Trader Joe’s has a great flavorful version that only has 5 calories per serving!
- ~1 cup frozen corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast cumin seeds in large, dry skillet over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant, shaking pan constantly. Transfer to small bowl, and set aside.
- Toast corn in the same skillet, shaking the pan for about 5 min or until cooked through. Transfer to small bowl, set aside.
- Arrange 4 tortillas on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
- Sprinkle half the tortilla with ~2-3 Tbsp grated cheese, and 1/4 tsp toasted cumin seeds. Top with 1/4 cup lentils, 1/4 cup corn, and fold the other side over. Repeat for the next 3 tortillas.
- Put the tortillas in the oven and broil for 5-10 min until the tops are lightly browned and crispy. Serve with Pico de Gallo.
Nutritional Information (per quesadilla)
Calories: ~200 (6g fat)