A few nights ago, I had a craving for muffins. Now – usually I stay away from muffins because they’re typically loaded with fat and calories… they’re usually more like a cake disguised as a healthy breakfast food 🙂 But I recently found an AWESOME muffin mix at Trader Joe’s that is super healthy! It’s made with all organic ingredients, all whole wheat/whole grain flour, has flax seeds, low in fat and high in fiber…. and it tastes GREAT! Each muffin is quite filling and a good size, and has only 150 calories (20 calories from fat) and 7g fiber.
Since I was craving muffins, I thought, “why not have breakfast for dinner?” There was another breakfast recipe using quinoa that I had wanted to try for a while – so I put the two together and ended up with a really yummy meal. The quinoa recipe and pictures of the muffin mix are below – hope you enjoy it!
Warm and Nutty Cinnamon & Berry Quinoa (from 101cookbooks)
Note: I got this recipe from 101cookbooks, but then modified it to make it my own. My modified recipe is below – you can find the link to the original here.
- 1 cup 1% low fat milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 box fresh strawberries, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2-3 packets of Splenda
- 4 teaspoons honey
- Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed
- Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes
- Stir in berries, nuts, cinnamon, honey and splenda; transfer to four bowls and top with pecans/walnuts
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon honey over each serving