Last night, I made a great vegetable paella – tasted just like it came out of a Spanish restaurant! The recipe I used came from Vegetarian Times but I modified it to make it healthier and more flavorful than the original recipe! My modified recipe is below, and you can find the original at this link. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbs. olive oil (The original recipe calls for 2 Tbs, but I found that 1 Tbs was enough – saves fat and calories!)
- 1 7-oz. pkg. spicy marinated tofu, finely diced (The original recipe calls for 2 pkgs, but I found that 1 was enough. I used Trader Joe’s baked savory tofu – tasted great!)
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced (Note: The mushrooms cook down so much that if you’re a mushroom fan, you can add up to 10 oz)
- 2 large carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 14-oz. can chopped or diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice (I actually used minute brown rice to make the recipe faster to make! The directions below assume that you’re using minute brown rice. If you’re using regular brown rice, use the vegetarian times version of the recipe.)
- 1/8 tsp. saffron, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish (If you’re a green onion fan, feel free to use up to 6 green onions)
- Additional spices for flavor:
- Salt & pepper – these are crucial – don’t forget them! Add them to taste, but I was pretty generous with my additions
- Garlic salt – I think I used about 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – I used about 1/8 tsp
- Heat oil in wok or a large pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu when oil is heated through, season with salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, if you’re using minute brown rice, cook according to package directions. Add in saffron at the same time you add the rice to the boiling water. Stir and cook on low – let sit until all water is absorbed.
- Back to the tofu/mushroom mixture: Stir in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté 2-5 minutes more.
- Stir in rice, and about ~1/4-1/2 cup of water (if you’re using minute rice). Cover with wok lid, and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add peas on surface (do not stir yet), cover, and allow peas to steam 1 to 2 minutes. Remove wok from heat, and stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with salt, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Makes 6 servings, calories per serving: 375
- Total fat: 12.5g (probably less if you use only 1 Tbsp oil)
- Protein: 22g (probably about half if you use 1 7 oz package of tofu)
- Fiber: 6g