I’m planning on trying out this recipe this week – I saw it on Sandra’s Money Saving Meals on the Food Network and it looked super easy but also very healthy! Here is the link to the recipe. My notes on how I’ll modify it to make it healthier are below. Enjoy!
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped (I’m going to use red onion because I like the flavor and it’s healthier!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (If you can find whole wheat bread crumbs that’s a great substitution)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls (I always use Oroweat’s Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns for any burger I make!)
- Sliced Tomato
- Sliced Red Onion (I always add this to my burgers because I love red onion 🙂 )
- 4 small Romaine lettuce leaves, or any other type you have on hand (I always use baby spinach as a substitution for lettuce – it basically tastes the same and you get way more nutritional bang for your buck!)
1. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
2. In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
3. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
4. Divide mixture into 6 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through. Toast hamburger buns on a grill. Place a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with baby spinach (or lettuce), tomato, onions, and ketchup. Cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.