Today I got my daily email from HungryGirl (a healthy food site that I LOVE), and I was reminded of a recipe for high fiber, low calorie breakfast cookies that were great! I thought the idea to increase fiber while still maintaining great flavor was super creative. The recipe is below – I completely credit this post to HungryGirl – I didn’t come up with this recipe myself 🙂 If you like this recipe, you’ll probably like a lot of HungryGirl’s other recipes – so definitely visit the site and check them out!
- 1/2 cup regular oats (not instant)
- 6 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original), ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor
- 1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
- 1/3 cup Gerber Peaches (or another brand of pureed peaches, found in the baby food aisle)
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1 tbsp. golden raisins
- 1 tbsp. Ocean Spray Craisins (original)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar, not packed
- 2 tsp. Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Chop raisins and Craisins into small pieces. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, Fiber One crumbs, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, dissolve Coffee-mate into 2 tbsp. hot water. Add all other wet ingredients (pureed peaches, pumpkin, and egg substitute), and mix well.
Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir until completely blended. Slowly sprinkle chopped raisins and Craisins into the batter, making sure they don’t all stick together.
Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray, and spoon batter into 4 evenly spaced circles. Spread batter out a bit with the back of a spoon. Place pan in the oven for 12 – 14 minutes (until tops of the treats are just slightly crispy). Remove pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Then grab ‘n go!
Makes 4 servings, 1 serving = 1 cookie
154 calories, 1.5g fat