I remember the first time I ate a black bean pizza – it was at CPK and I had ordered their Tostada pizza. It was sooo yummy and I wanted to recreate it in a healthier version. Then I saw a recipe on EatingWell.com for a Smoky Corn and Black Bean Pizza, and I decided to combine the two recipes to create a version of my own! My modified recipe is below – you can access the EatingWell recipe in the link above.
- Whole wheat pizza dough (I like Trader Joe’s fresh pizza dough!)
- 4-5 Tbsp Barbecue sauce (Try to get one with the least amount of sugar – Trader Joe’s has a great variety – picture at the end of this post)
- 1 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1 8oz can corn
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread out the dough on a pizza pan, spread the barbecue sauce on top
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil, black beans, diced red onion and chili powder – cook until heated through and onions begin to caramelize (5-10 min)
3. Spread black bean mixture over barbecue sauce
4. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Then sprinkle diced red pepper and corn on top of the cheese.
5. Bake in oven for 10-15 min (depending on pizza dough and heating instructions)
6. Remove from oven, drizzle 1 Tbsp barbecue sauce over the pizza. Serve and enjoy!
Approximate Nutritional Information: My estimates are, if you cut the pizza into 8 slices (and are using the Trader Joe’s whole wheat dough), each slice should have about 150-200 calories!