I recently found this recipe on a fellow foodie’s blog – thank you Natalie’s Killer Cuisine! I made this recipe for dinner last night and it turned out great! I modified the recipe to make it a little healthier and a little less spicy. My slightly modified recipe is below, check out Natalie’s Killer Cuisine for the original.
Ingredients – Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large Red Bell Peppers, roasted
- 2 cups Quinoa, cooked
- 1 15 oz can Black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 8 oz can corn rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup fat free Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp Black Pepper (depending on how spicy you want the filling to be)
Ingredients – Avocado Lime Sauce
- 2 Avocados, ripe
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 2 heaping tbsp fat free Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 – 4 TBS 1% milk (as needed – I didn’t need to use any for my sauce)
Directions – Stuffed Peppers
- Roast bell peppers: you can roast them on the grill or in the oven. I roasted mine in my oven under the broiler. I pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees, and then broiled the peppers on high for a few minutes until the skin was blistery/starting to blacken, and then I turned them over and broiled them on high for another few minutes until the other side was done.
- Cut off the top of the pepper (save for garnish) and scoop out the insides, and the seeds and discard.
- Combine all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Spoon into bell peppers.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 3 minutes. Enjoy with avocado lime sauce.
Directions – Avocado Lime Sauce
- Chop Avocado, juice limes: combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Slowly add milk until desired consistency. Sauce will hold its color at least 8 hours (mine has held its color for over one day in the fridge in a tightly sealed container)