I found this recipe on myrecipes.com and it’s become one of my favorite meals to make! This soup is super tasty, warming and has a great mediterranean flavor. It also packs a nutritional punch with the fiber and protein from the chickpeas, and lycopene from the tomatoes. My slightly modified version of the recipe is below. Try it and enjoy!
- 1-1.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the water and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Place 2 cups soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 cups soup. (Note: the other alternative here is to use a hand blender – it works a lot more quickly and is a lot less messy!)
3. Return all pureed soup to pan. Stir in the vinegar, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Spoon 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Makes 6 servings – per serving
Calories: 373 (22% from fat)